THE LAGUNA BEACH CHAMBER OF COMMERCE
POSITION: Marketing and Events Manager
REPORTS TO: President/CEO
PURPOSE: Effectively market and promote Chamber events and Members to exceed revenue budgets and maintain operating expenses. Sell event tickets, memberships, sponsorships, and advertising.
ENVIRONMENT: The Laguna Beach Chamber is a member organization representing business and the community. It is a non-partisan organization but is not neutral on certain issues. Members pay annual dues. The goal of the Chamber is to create a positive business environment that is necessary for the prosperity of our community. The Chamber gets involved in a wide variety of issues from City/County budgets, city revitalization, proposed fees, and local, state, and federal legislation.
The following is a list of major duties and responsibilities for this position along with certain supportive duties. It is not all-inclusive. Other duties and responsibilities may be added as needed and in addition, management, as appropriate, may modify this job description.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include but are not limited to the following:
- Maintain the Chamber website, ensuring that updates are made in a timely manner. (Using Chamber Master software)
- Provide event web pages that are informative and promote event attendance.
- Create Tuesday Tip off email and Friday email, maintain email audience and tags. (Using Mailchimp)
- Solicit and prepare weekly Tuesday Tip Off email, Friday email, and social media including Facebook, Instagram, YouTube, etc
- Understand the importance of social media and is comfortable posting on multiple channels on a daily basis.
- Manage and track events calendar; manage staff and volunteers to ensure successful event.
- Contribute to achievement of the Chamber’s financial goals by planning and coordinating Chamber programs, events and activities, and sponsorships including but not limited to:
- Board Installation Dinner
- Leadership Luncheon
- State of The City Luncheon
- Chamber Golf Tournament
- Chamber Night at The Pageant
- Taste of Laguna Food & Music Festival
- Small Business Saturday
- Hospitality Night
- Quarterly Think Laguna First Events
- Quarterly Chamber After Hours Mixers
- Member Ribbon Cuttings
- Breakfast Panels
- Lunch Local
- Workforce Seminars
- Provide a budget for each event; provide Accounting with all revenues/expenditures; and ensure that an “actual to budget” is provided to the Event Chair, CEO and Board.
- Plan, prepare, and coordinate event advertising and sales promotion materials with marketing committee, event chair and public.
- Participate in annual review of events, determining whether they meet the following criteria: make us funds, promote our members, improve our community.
MINIMUM EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE:
- Fill in at reception desk as requested and required.
- Provide support to other staff who have projects that require assistance and may be a priority at a given point in time.
- 4-year degree in business or equivalent in education and experience
- Experience in sales and goal setting
- Experience doing cold calls and using sales techniques
- Experience in preparing budgets, marketing material and communications
- Web page maintenance experience
- Email blast experience
- Press Release experience
- Strong Social Media skills
- Strong computer skills with Adobe, MS Office, Excel, and Power Point
- Experience using Canva, Mailchimp, Chamber Master or similar software
- Demonstrate professionalism at all times when representing the organization: dress, behave and work professionally.
- Communicate clearly
- Demonstrate a high level of customer service when working with volunteers and meeting/responding to members.
- Demonstrate that you are a team member; understand the priorities of the organization, recognize when others need help, and volunteer assistance.
- Treat others with respect.
- Demonstrate a commitment to Chamber's goals and program of work.
- Demonstrate honesty, openness, and trustworthiness.
- Act with integrity: do what you commit to do.
- Keep confidential information confidential.
- Always promote and talk about our organization in a positive manner.
- Be to work on time, complete work in a timely manner, and only use overtime on a pre-approved basis.
- Normal office hours are Monday-Friday 9am-5pm. Based on event calendar there will be occasional schedule changes, some nights and weekends and occasional overtime.
The physical demands and work environment characteristics described here are representative of those that must be met by a team member to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodation may be made to enable qualified individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Communication skills: Clearly present information verbally and in writing. Listen well and be able to persuade others. Able to present one on one and in group settings. Able to sell sponsorships and memberships.
- Interaction: Communicate with others in a warm and helpful manner while building credibility and rapport.
- Policy and procedures: Operate in a manner consistent with existing policies and procedures.
- Creativity: Develop unique solutions to problems; use intuition and a new way of thinking to generate new ideas; present information in an attention-getting and interesting manner.
- Decision making/problem solving: Take action in solving problems while exhibiting judgment and a realistic understanding of issues; use reason even when dealing with emotional topics.
- Assertiveness: Express opinions and feelings despite disagreement; accurately communicate to others regardless of their status or position.
- Initiative: Anticipate and look for ways to be helpful and to move the agenda forward; don’t wait to be told or asked.
- This position requires the ability to communicate effectively with volunteers, members, suppliers, media, and others to promote events.
- Must be able to present information in one-on-one settings and in front of groups.
- Must be able to use the telephone to communicate as well as use the computer to research, create materials, communicate.
- Position requires ability to hear, speak and see; must be able to listen to others as well as observe body language.
- Must be mobile, able to attend meetings, events at different locations; direct/observe event set up; select decorations; listen to sound systems; check lighting and so on.
- Regular attendance and punctuality are necessary and essential functions.
- This position is very active and is frequently required to stand, walk, use hands to handle or feel objects and reach with hands and arms.
- The employee may occasionally lift and move items up to or in excess of 15 pounds.
- This position regularly requires longer hours, including earlier start times and/or later end times and occasional weekend work. (Based on event calendar)
To apply, please email your resume to: Director@lagunabeachchamber.org
- Required: CA Driver’s License and reliable vehicle
- Background check and finger printing may be requested
- Provide list of at least three references