Extraordinary Lives Foundation
Our foundation is dedicated to raising awareness of mental health issues with an emphasis on children and adolescents. Our goals include publicizing that May is National Mental Health Awareness Month and to raise funds for the development of much needed children and adolescent mental health facilities in Orange County: CHOC in Orange and Mission Hospital in Laguna Beach. Currently there are no psychiatric beds for children under the age of 12 in Orange County. Parents of children in crisis must go to LA or San Diego as their closest options.
One of our slogans is ''STOP the Silence'' on mental health issues. We want to help children and their families in our community to feel comfortable talking about their concerns without fear of isolation, bullying or being stigmatized for the challenges they face. Our other slogan ''High 5 for mental health'' is to promote the notion that we are all on the same team and we can make a difference working together.
• 1 in 5 of children ages 13-18 currently have and/or previously had a seriously debilitating mental disorder.
• Nationally, 11% of children between the ages of 10 - 18 have a mood disorder; 8% have an anxiety disorder
• Suicide is the 3rd leading cause of death in youth ages 10 -24; 90% of those who died from suicide had an underlying mental illness.
Mental health issues in children and adolescents has not been given the attention it deserves, especially in Orange County. It is a goal of our organization to change that.
- May is National Mental Health Awareness Month!
- STOP the Silence!
- High 5 for mental health!